Thursday, May 22, 2008

Why I need to get out of NJ

The superintendent of Keansburg schools is about to receive a ridiculous severance package. The school itself is a poor school that receives most of it's funding from state aid. First, she's getting $184,586 for 235.5 unused sick days. That works out to about $784 per sick day. I don't know about you but when I left my last job, I only got to cash out my unused vacation days for the year, any leftover personal time was not paid out. Plus it didn't carry over from year to year to accumulate 235.5 days.

On top of that, she's getting $120,000/year retirement pay. That's more than I, and presumably most of the parents who's kids attend the school's, make working for a living. I'm not saying she's not entitled to something but that's a little ridiculous.

But wait, there's more, she is also getting $556,290 which is her monthly salary times the number of years she's worked there (38) as a bonus. That means her monthly salary was about $14,639.

If this is what the superintendent of one of the poorest schools in the state gets, it's not wonder we have high taxes. I really think the state needs to publish all the salaries of every state employee so we can see how much we are getting ripped off. If I understand it right, the state does provide this information currently but you need to know the sate employee's name to get the information. And there's probably a processing fee for each person. If we really want to do something about taxes, let's start by re-evaluating state employee's salaries.

No comments: